I have been feeling so much since July 6th, when 2 leaders and a bunch of highschoolers including myself left for Haiti. I don't know how to communicate those feelings, so I'm just gonna throw some of my thoughts out there:)
I knew I was going to Haiti right around Christmas break, so I had time to "prepare" for the trip. I knew what weather to expect, I had pictures of each of the kids, I knew a few Creole words, I had heard about the culture, stuff like that. But I wasn't "prepared".
I spent a week loving on kids, only to tear myself away from them. The last full day that we were going to be at the orphanage, Mitchella (my reading buddy) asked me, "You leave for America tomorrow?". I told hear yes, I was leaving, but that I would see her again.
Over a week, I saw the broken spirits of the people in Haiti, destruction from the earthquake, poverty, and through it all I saw Jesus. And I saw Him in the orphans at Maison.
I cried leaving the children in Haiti, but I cried with hope, because I know that my goodbye to them was not the end. I prayed for them with hope, because I know that they are being held in the hands of their Father. And I left them with hope, because I know that Jesus is bigger than everything I saw in Haiti. I believe there's a place where I'll see those kids again, and there will be no more sorrow and no more pain.
-mary zeglen
No comments:
Post a Comment